Special Notes for the 2022-2023 Admissions Cycle
(for Fall 2022 start date)
Requirement for Face-to-Face Courses
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Physical Therapy formally has made exceptions for the 2022-2023 admissions cycle. Face-to-face courses are still preferred. Yet, we recognize that face-to-face courses are hard/impossible to find while social distancing policies are in effect. We will accept prerequisite courses that migrated to remote instruction (i.e., science courses with online/hybrid labs), which are taken from a regionally accredited institution for a grade.
Required Clinical Observation Hours
Although we recognize that clinic operations have been altered by public health orders during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have not yet made a determination about the clinical hours requirement for this admissions cycle. You are still able to submit your application without the clinical observation hours completed, and it would be a condition of admission to follow the relevant policy regarding their completion. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed of the requirements.
Admission to the program is highly competitive and limited to 36 openings each year. Please visit the PTCAS website for more information and to apply.
June 15: PTCAS opens
November 1: Pacific DPT deadline for verification of application and supporting materials
January 1: Selected applicants are invited to interview
February 15: Interviews are completed
March 1: Initial offers made with a 2-week deadline to confirm acceptance
March 15 - July 1: Offers made as positions are available
July 15: Prerequisites, observation hours, and degree verification are due
Late August program start date
- PTCAS Application - Opens June 15, 2023
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation - Completed through PTCAS
- GRE General Test - Sent to PTCAS; University of the Pacific, DPT Program, PTCAS GRE Code = 0211
- Official transcripts should be sent directly to PTCAS. Official transcripts need only be sent to University of the Pacific if admitted.
- International Applicants ONLY: TOEFL Exam or IELTS Exam
Important Notes About Applying
- Prerequisite completion: At the November 1 deadline, applicants may have up to four prerequisite courses pending or in progress. At least two of these courses must be completed by the end of the fall term, and the remaining coursework must be completed by the July 15 deadline if the applicant is offered a spot.
- Repeating prerequisites: Grades from any and all undergraduate courses taken will be considered in calculating GPA. No prerequisite course may be repeated more than once. A maximum of three prerequisite courses may be repeated. A course that is more than seven years old and is then retaken does not count as a repeated course.
- The deadline is a verified application deadline, meaning that your application must be complete, submitted, and verified by PTCAS by November 1 in order to be considered.
- Please plan ahead! We recommend you submit your application no later than October 15. After submitting your application, please respond promptly to any information requests by PTCAS as they process it.
- Bachelor's degree with a major of the student's choice.
- Successful completion of the listed prerequisite courses.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or above
- Courses are taken on a graded basis; pass/fail courses are not acceptable.
- Biological science, chemistry, and physics courses must all include significant laboratory experiences.
- It is recommended that prerequisite courses in Biology, Exercise Physiology, Anatomy, and Physiology be taken within ten years of applying to the program.
- At least 50 hours of experience in physical therapy practice settings which includes at least 25 hours in acute care, in-hospital setting (NOTE: sub-acute and any other non-acute care settings do not satisfy this requirement). The Department encourages you to visit the APTA website for the definition of acute care and descriptions of that setting: http://www.apta.org/PTCareers/Overview/.
- GRE test scores must be less than five years old at the time of application. Please contact the Graduate School if you have questions.
- A personal interview at the invitation of the selection committee is required.
- All prerequisite courses/labs must be completed at an accredited institution. All courses must have defined objectives, a course description, an objective grading system with a letter grade, and meet the content expectations of the prerequisite. With the exception of Medical Terminology, the program does not accept online courses as the fulfillment of prerequisite coursework, except during the pandemic between February 2020 and December 2022; for Spring 2023, classes may be online, but labs must be in person. Contact PTAdmissions@pacific.edu for prior approval for an online Medical Terminology course only.
- Pacific will NOT accept AP courses to fulfill prerequisites.
- General Biology with lab and another course in Biological sciences (not botany) with or without lab: 6 semester credits/9 quarter hours minimum.
- Human Anatomy with Lab: 4 semester units/5 quarter hours minimum.
- Human Physiology with Lab: 4 semester units/5 quarter hours minimum.
- General Chemistry with lab: 8 semester units/12 quarter hours minimum.
- General Physics with lab: 8 semester units/12 quarter hours minimum.
- Abnormal Psychology: 3 semester units/4 quarter hours minimum.
- Statistics: 3 semester units/4 quarter hours minimum.
- Exercise Physiology: 3 semester units/4 quarter hours minimum.
- Medical Terminology: 1-3 semester units/ 2-4 quarter hours minimum.
Check out our FAQ page, attend an information session, call us at 209.946.2886 or email PTAdmissions@pacific.edu.
Applicants to Pacific's DPT program are strongly encouraged to attend an information session. Experience the campus and learn more about our DPT program. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about our program and admissions process.